Last year, my future sister-in-law requested a specific type of cake for her birthday.
S: “What kind of cake does she want?”
D: “Umm… choco-choco-choco chip… with chocolate.”
S: “Ahhh… a girl after my own heart.”
D: “I have an idea…” (insert light bulb here)
For those of you who have seen the movie Grown Ups, you might have already figured out the reference to this recipe. For those of you who haven’t seen it:
And so, the idea to make this incredible cake was born. I don’t know who came up with this recipe, but I want to give them lots of hugs and a bunch of high-fives.
I used the recipes for My Favorite Chocolate Cake and Milk Chocolate Buttercream for the cake and frosting — then just went wild with the chocolate chips and assorted chocolate candies. That’s what I love about this recipe… the sky (or how far your stretchy pants will extend) is the limit. I recommend eating this cake before you have a chunk of free time… a nap might be necessary afterward.
From my chocolate loving heart to yours, enjoy! Lots of hugs and Hershey’s kisses to you!
Chocolate Wasted Cake
Recipe adapted from Art of Dessert
For the cake, you will need:
2 c. sugar
1 and 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 and 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 c. milk
2 t. vanilla
3/4 c. cocoa powder
1 and 1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 c. oil
1 c. boiling water
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
3. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Gently stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans or cupcake cups.
4. For cupcakes: fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. For two 9″ cake pans: Divide batter evenly among two pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
For the frosting, you will need:
6 and 1/2 oz. milk chocolate chips
2 c. powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. salt
1. Place chocolate chips in a medium heatproof bowl and microwave at 50% power until soft, for about 1 minute. Stir and continue to heat, another minute or so, until completely melted.
2. To melted chocolate, add powdered sugar, milk, butter, vanilla, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
3. Lay one of cakes, top side down, onto a cake plate and top with about 1/3 of the frosting.
4. Place other cake on top of frosting, top side up. Top with remaining frosting and using a wide spatula or butter knife, spread frosting along top and down sides of cake, smoothing out as you go. Immediately after frosting, top with sprinkles.
Cake will keep, in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 4 days.
1. Press chocolate chips into sides, around circumference of cake.
3. Put on your stretchy pants, cut a slice, and enjoy!