Ever since I was a little kid, I’ve had a mad obsession with chocolate and mint. The richness of the chocolate paired with the refreshing quality of peppermint? Oh, good heavens. Sign me up.
To this day, mint chocolate chip remains my favorite ice cream flavor (though let’s be real… I don’t discriminate when it comes to ice cream).
I found some chocolate mint malted milk balls at World Market and was trying to find the right recipe to use them in. I ended up seeing a recipe for Whoppers brownies and tweaked it a bit to make them slightly minty.
These brownies are dense, chewy, and rich… and the peppermint gives them a fresh little twist. Need dessert and an after dinner mint? Two birds, one stone. Yum.
Mint Chocolate Malt Brownies
Recipe adapted from My Baking Addiction
You will need:
1 and 1/2 c. mint chocolate malt balls, crushed
4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 c. unsalted butter, cubed
1 and 1/4 c. granulated sugar
1/2 t. peppermint extract
1/4 t. salt
3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. chocolate malt powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8″ baking dish with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter (45 to 60 seconds). Stir.
3. Whisk in sugar, eggs, vanilla, and salt.
4. Gradually add in flour until just combined.
5. Spread half of batter in pan. Top with crushed mint chocolate malt balls. Cover with remaining batter.
6. Bake 30-35 minutes. Cool completely before slicing into bars.